Emilio Vavarella is an artist whose work blends interdisciplinary art practice and theoretical research and is centered around the study of the relationship between humans and technological power. His works present a combination of using new technologies with alternative (non-productive, poetic, dysfunctional) goals in mind, imagining technology’s future effects through the use of speculative fiction, and decontextualizing and misusing technology to reveal its hidden mechanisms.
Emilio is currently working toward a PhD in Film and Visual Studies and Critical Media Practice at Harvard University. He holds an M.A. cum laude in Visual Arts from Iuav University of Venice, with study abroad fellowships at Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design, Tel Aviv and Bilgi University of Istanbul and received a B.A. cum laude in Visual, Cultural, and Media Studies from the University of Bologna.
Part of his master thesis, entitled Error and Metamorphosis in New Media Art: Strategies and Perspectives of Intellectual Resistance, was presented in 2014 at SIGGRAPH, the leading conference devoted to computer graphics and interactive techniques. Emilio has also been invited to present his work at: ISEA – International Symposium on Electronic Arts (2015, 2016 and 2017); Goldsmiths University of London (2017); the University of East London (2017); the School of the Art Institute of Chicago – IEEE VISAP (2015); Koç University – Expressive2015, Parsons The New School for Design (2013) and more recently at the AMRO Research Lab in Linz. In 2015 his installation MEMORYSCAPES was awarded the prestigious First Prize for Emerging Art of the Francesco Fabbri Prize for Contemporary Art.
His artworks have been exhibited at many of the most prestigious festivals of media arts: Stuttgarter Filmwinter – Festival of Expanded Media (2016); Media Art Biennale (2015); NYEAF New York Electronic Arts Festival (2015); EMAF European Media Art Festival (2014), Japan Media Arts Festival (2014); CultureHub Media Art Festival (2014) and GLITCH Festival (2013). Esteemed venues that have exhibited Emilio’s work include: Harvard Art Museums (2017); the European Parliament (2017); Museo de Arte de Caldas (2017); Villa Manin (2016); Museo Nacional Bellas Artes in Santiago (2015); National Art Center of Tokyo (2014); Jarach Gallery (2014); Eyebeam Art and Technology Center (2013); Boston Cyberarts Gallery (2013); the Museum of Contemporary Art Vojvodina (2013); the Mole Vanvitelliana for the Biennial of the Young Artists from Europe and the Mediterranean (2013); Fondazione Studio Marangoni (2013) and Fondazione Bevilacqua La Masa (2012).
Emilio’s academic writings have been published in major peer-reviewed journals such as Leonardo, The Journal of the International Society of the Arts, Sciences and Technology (MIT Press), Digital Creativity (Routledge), and CITAR Journal – Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts. His writings have also appeared in the book Behind the Smart World: Saving, Deleting and Resurfacing Data produced by the AMRO Research Lab in Linz; in HZ Journal and Mnemoscape Magazine, and his contribution for the first curatorial program of the Sandretto Re Rebaudengo Foundation – “A Glitched Definition of Glitch” – was included in the exhibition catalogue A Linking Book (2013). Additionally, he has produced artists books in limited editions, most notably fragments (2015), and the MNEMODRONE Series (2014-ongoing).
His work has been discussed in books such as The New Aesthetic and Art: Constellations of the Postdigital published by the Institute of Network Culture and in peer-reviewed journals published by MIT Press, Routledge and Taylor & Francis such as Leonardo, Digital Creativity, Visual Culture, and Visual Communication Quarterly. Additionally, Vavarella’s work has been frequently covered by global media outlets such as Wired (American, Italian, and Japanese editions), Le Monde, The Huffington Post, LaRepubblica, El País, BuzzFeed, New York Daily News, Mashable, Yahoo Tech, and Folha De S.Paulo, among others. His work also regularly appears in specialized press, including Artforum, Neural, Flash Art, Il Giornale dell’Arte, Interartive, Digicult, Exibart, Interalia Magazine and DIVA – Journal of The Society for Art and Science.
- (Currenty) Ph.D. – Harvard University. Film and Visual Studies and Critical Media Practice, Department of Visual and Environmental Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, US.
- 2013 M.A. – Iuav University of Venice. Visual Arts (Laura Magistrale Arti Visive), Italy.
- 2013 Erasmus Study Abroad Fellowship – Bilgi University of Istanbul. Graduate School of Social Sciences, Turkey.
- 2012 Fellowship for Extra-European Studies – Bezalel Academy of Arts. M.F.A. Tel Aviv, Israel.
- 2011 B.A. – University of Bologna. Fine Art, Visual, Cultural and Media Studies (Laurea Triennale in DAMS), Italy.
- 2006 Diploma in Architecture and Interior Design – ISA. Comiso, Italy.
- 2013-2016 Harvestworks Digital Media Arts Center. Digital media production; TEAM Lab assistant. NYC, US.
- 2016 Researcher in Residence at Signal Culture. Owego, New York
- 2014 embarrassment party, online residency project, curated by Marii Nyröp
- 2012 Studio Residency, Bezalel Academy of Arts. Fellowship for Extra-European Studies, Tel Aviv, Israel. Guest lecturers: Jonathan Meese, Roger Ballen, Nicolas Bourriaud
(Selected) EXHIBITIONS AND FESTIVALS
- (Upcoming Solo Exhibition) GALLLERIAPIÙ, Bologna, Italy
- (Upcoming) Something Else, OFF Biennale Cairo 2017, head curator Simon Njami, Section curated by Elena Giulia Abbiatici, Darb 1718 Contemporary Art Centre, Cairo, Egypt
- (Upcoming) CCD – Centro de Cultura Digital, Heterotopia: Virtual Space Alterations, curated by Fernando Garibay, Mexico City, Mexico
- ISEA2017 – 23rd International Symposium on Electronic Art + XVI Festival Internacional de la Imagen, Manizales, Colombia
- European Parliament, Leggere il Presente. Percezione del confine e ruolo dell’Altro nell’Europa di oggi, curated by l’art9, Brussels, Belgium.
- ADAF – 13th Athens Digital Arts Festival, #PostFuture, curated by Elli-Anna Peristeraki, Athens, Greece
- (Solo Exhibition) Harvard Art Museums – LightBox Gallery, RE:Animation, Cambridge MA, US
- (Triple Solo Exhibition) Galleria Moitre, Irene Dionisio / Lavinia Raccanello / Emilio Vavarella, Turin, Italy
- 30th Stuttgarter Filmwinter – Festival of Expanded Media, Juried Exhibition, curated by Wand 5, Kunstbezirk, Stuttgart, Germany
- (Online Exhibition) FLEFF 2016, Interface/Landscape, curated by Dale Hudson and Claudia Pederson, Ithaca College, NY, US
- PLUNC 2016 – Digital Art and New Media Festival, Museu das Comunicações – Fundação Portuguesa das Comunicações, Lisbon, Portugal
- ISEA2016 香港, 22nd International Symposium on Electronic Art, Cultural R>evolution, Hong Kong
- AMRO – Art Meets Radical Openess, Festival dedicated to Art, Hacktivism and Open Culture, Behind the Smart World, curated by KairUs, Linz, Austria
- Villa Manin, Memorie, curated by Corrado Azzollini e Antonio Giusa. Section “La Meglio Gioventù” curated by Andrea Bruciati, Passariano di Codroipo (UD), Italy
- 29th Stuttgarter Filmwinter – Festival of Expanded Media, Shape Shifters, curated by Wand 5, Stuttgart, Germany
- Francesco Fabbri Foundation – Francesco Fabbri Prize for Contemporary Art, curated by Carlo Sala in collaboration with Andrea Bruciati, Martina Cavallarin, Stefano Coletto and Raffaele Gavarro, Villa Brandolini, Pieve di Soligo (TV), Italy
- MINY Media Center, The Arbitrary Art of Numbers, curated by Hans Tammen, NYC, US
- (Online Exhibition) THE WRONG, New Digital Art Biennale, Homeostasis Pavilion, curated by Julia Borges Araña and Guilherme Brandão
- Imagine the City, Street Views, curated by Gioula Papadopoulou, Cultural Center of Kalamata, Greece
- 12th Media Art Biennale (BVAM), curated by Akihiro Kubota, Museo Nacional Bellas Artes, Santiago, Chile
- IEEE VISAP’15, Data Improvisations, curated by Angus Forbes, Fanny Chevalier and Daria Tsoupikova, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, US
- Re-Building the Future, curated by Marco Pierini, in collaboration with Laura Barreca, Claudia Loffelholz and Andrea Bruciati, Ex Chiesa dei Cavalieri di Malta, Siracusa, Italy
- (Solo Exhibition) NYEAF – New York Elctronic Art Festival, MEMORYSCAPES, Harvestworks Digital Media Arts Center, NYC, US
- ISEA2015 – 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art, Disruption, curated by Kate Armstrong and Malcolm Levy, Vancouver, Canada
- Expressive 2015, Idea Chain, (2015) curated by Angus Forbes and Anil Camci, Incubation Center of Koç University, Istanbul, Turkey
- #watch22, curated by Günter Minas, Bonifazius-Türme, Mainz, Germany
- (Online Exhibition) Luoghi Comuni Festival – Net Art Section, Altamura (BA), Italy
- 18th Japan Media Arts Festival, curated by Uematsu Yuka, Satow Morihiro, Okabe Aomi, Takatani Shiro, Miwa Masahiro, National Art Center, Tokyo, Japan
- (Online Solo Exhibition) THE ITALIAN JOB – Job n.2, An-Archiving Game, exhibition at WAG Widget Art Gallery and auction with OpenBazaar, curated by Monica Bosaro and Emma Stanisic
- CultureHub, RE FEST: Art + Technology Festival, curated by Billy Clark, NYC, US
- SIGGRAPH 2014, ACTING IN TRANSLATION, curated by Basak Senova, Vancouver Convention Center, Canada
AIOP Art in Odd Places Festival, FREE, curated by Juliana Driever & Dylan Gauthier, 14th Street, NYC, US
- EMAF 27th European Media Arts Festival, WE. THE ENEMY, curated by Hermann Noering, Kunsthalle Osnabrueck, Germany
- TRACE(s) Festival Des Arts Numeriques, Médiathéque Léon Alègre Bagnols-sur-Cèze, France.
- The Projects, BEEP BOOP BOP, curated by Leah Brown and Peter Symons, FATVillage art district, Fort Lauderdale FL, US
- CURRENTS 2014 The Santa Fe International Festival of New Media Art, curated by Parallel Studios, Santa Fe, US
- THE ITALIAN JOB n.1 – embarrassment_party, curated by Marii Nyröp and Lucrezia Calabrò, online and physical exhibition at Amherst College, MA, US
- (Online Exhibition) MON3Y as an 3RRR0R | MON3Y.US, curated by Vasily Zaitsev, online exhibition at MOUS310n.net
- SLINGSHOTS, Festival of Music, Electronic Arts and Tech, Athens GA, US
- Jarach Gallery, ECHO BACK. Figure di Interferenza, curated by Stefano Coletto, Venice, Italy
- EYEBEAM, EMOJI, Art & Design Show, curated by Julia Kaganskiy and Zoe Salditch, NYC, US
- INTERNET&TACOS, Space for Digital Culture and Internet Politics, Hildesheim, Germany
- EYEBEAM, PRISM Break Up, curated by Heather Dewey-Hagborg, Ramsey Nasser and Open Culture, NYC, US
- Museum of Contemporary Art Vojvodina, Autonomies, curated by NAPON (Institute for flexible cultures and technologies), Novi Sad, Serbia
- Video Art Festival Miden, Street Views section, curated by Gioula Papadopoulou, Kalamata and Athens, Greece
- Boston Cyberarts Gallery, COLLISION19: COmpress/DECompress, guest curated by Stephanie Dvareckas, US
- Far Festa / Nuove Feste Veneziane, curated by Cake Away and Claire Tancons, Venice, Italy
GLITCH festival – Run computer, Run, Economics + The Immaterial, curated by Nora O Murchú, RUA RED, Dublin, Ireland
- Mediterranea16 – Young Artists Biennial (BJCEM), Errors Allowed, curated by Charlotte Bank, Alessandro Castiglioni, Nadira Laggoune, Delphine Leccas, Slobodne Veze / Loose Associations, Marco Trulli and Claudio Zecchi, Mole Vanvitelliana, Ancona, Italy
- Fondazione Studio Marangoni, Lapsus, curated by Marinella Paderni, Florence, Italy
- alt/, curated by José Esteban Muñoz, Gallery 360, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, US
- PAC (Pinebox Art Center), New Frontiers, curated by Vincent Valerio, Baltimore MD, US
- Fondazione Bevilacqua La Masa, 96ma Collettiva Giovani Artisti, curated by Angela Vettese e Stefano Coletto, Galleria di Piazza S.Marco, Venice, Italy
- Tg-dragon Gallery TaiCang, The Dream of Flying in the sky, curated by Tang Zheng, Suzhou, China
- Shanghai Italian Center, The Dream of flying in the sky, Quantum Art Festival, curated by Roberto Denti e Li Jin, China
- European Researchers’ Night, Veneto Night, sponsored by European Commission, 7° PQ for Research and Technological Development, Iuav University of Venice, Italy
- Performing Iuav, curated by Cornelia Lauf and Angela Vettese, Venice Art Night, Venice, Italy
- Fondazione Bevilaqua La Masa, Fine Corsa. Mostra laboratori Iuav. Curated by Stefano Arienti, Lewis Baltz, Marco Bertozzi and Cornelia Lauf, Palazzetto Tito, Venice, Italy
- Fonlad, Digital Arts Festival, curated by IC Zero Association, Videolab and Cooperative Castles Theatre, UAVM Virtual Museum, WAC (Web Art Center) and Space for Arts, Media & Performances, Coimbra, Portugal
- Metricubi, The Responsive Act, curated by Filipa Ramos and Rene Gabri, Venice, Italy
- ExpoMuseum / Expo 2012, Quantum Art and Science for a New Renaissance, organized by Italia degli Innovatori, Yeosu, South Korea
- (Solo Exhibition) STRATEGIES OF FRIENDSHIP, EMI.LI.O.-V.AVA.REL.L.A., curated by Sergio Luongo, Square23 Gallery, Turin, Italy
- (Solo Exhibition) Spazio Bartleby, L’alfabeto del vostro Dio, curated by Bartleby, Bologna, Italy
- Quantum Art and Science for a New Renaissance, organized by Italia degli Innovatori, B2B, Nanjing and Shanghai, China
- Concorso Internazionale Videoarte M.Cosua, Venice, Italy
- Concorso Fotografico DAMS, curated by Claudio Marra and Federica Muzzarelli, Bologna, Italy
(Selected) PRIZES, FELLOWSHIPS, COMMISSIONS
- Critical Media Practice Mellon Grant, Film Study Center at Harvard University, MA, US.
- New York State Council on the Arts’ (NYSCA), Electronic Media and Film Finishing Funds, grant program administered by The ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes.
- MEMORIE: Arte, Immagini e Parole del Terremoto in Friuli. Commission for the creation of a new artwork at Villa Manin, Passariano di Codroipo (UD), Italy.
- Winner of Premio ORA, 5th Edition. Solo exhibition at Gallleriapiù, Bologna, Italy.
- Winner of First Prize Emerging Art – Francesco Fabbri Prize for Contemporary Art and inclusion of MEMORYSCAPES in the permanent collection of the Fondazione Francesco Fabbri at Villa Brandolini (TV), Italy. Jury: Andrea Bruciati, Stefano Coletto, Martina Cavallarin and Raffaele Gavarro.
- Movin’Up, Grant program to sustain the mobility of Italian artists abroad to present MNEMODRONE CHAPTER THREE during ISEA2015, Vancouver. Promoted by: Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism: General Directorate for Contemporary Art and Architecture and Urban Suburbs, General Directorate for Performing Arts and GAI – Association for the Circuit of the Young Italian Artists.
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and Five College Digital Humanities Project, stipend for the creation of THE ITALIAN JOB for embarrassment_party. Online residency program
- M.A. summa cum laude, Iuav University of Venice, Italy
- Lapsus, Winner of Second Prize (photography) for THE SICILIAN FAMILY, Fondazione Studio Marangoni, Florence, Italy
- Far Festa / Nuove Feste Veneziane, commission for the creation of PONTE PIRATA, Venice, Italy
- Erasmus Fellowship for Abroad Studies, M.A. Cultural Studies, 5 months at Bilgi University of Istanbul, Turkey
- Premio Combat Prize, curated by Andrea Bruciati, Special Mention from the Jury, Museo Civico G. Fattori ex Granai di Villa Mimbelli and Museo di Storia Naturale di Livorno, Italy
- Fellowship for Extra-European Studies, Study Abroad, M.F.A, 4 months at Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Venice Art Night, commission for the creation of CONCERT FOR STRINGS, Iuav University of Venice, Italy
- Scholarship of the Town for Academic Merits, Comune di Acate, Ragusa, Italy
- B.A. summa cum laude, University of Bologna, Italy
- Italian Excellence, selected for Italia degli Innovatori, by Agenzia per la diffusione delle tecnologie per l’innovazione. Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri, Rome, Italy
- Biennal Democracy, Performing Now, presentation of the catalogue I love my city during Democrazianostop, Special Mention, Museo della Scienza, Turin, Italy
- L’integrazione culturale per un mondo migliore, International Literature Prize, Consulate of Ecuador, Milan, Italy
- Versi in Volo, Poetry Competition, Milan, Italy
- 2033 Progetto Sud, International Literature Prize, Palermo, Italy
- Premio Arte in Volo, Porro & Co, Circolo Filologico Milanese, Milan, Italy
- Concorso Fotografico DAMS, Winner of first Prize, curated by Claudio Marra and Federica Muzzarelli, Bologna, Italy
- 23° Concorso Fotografico Francesco Bertozzi, Winner of First prize, Novara, Italy
CONFERENCES AND PRESENTATIONS OF MY PROJECTS
- A&SM, The Sensorium, curated by Dean Todd and Mikey Georgeson, The University of East London, UK
- Against the Slow Cancellation of the Future, Centre for Cultural Studies, Goldsmiths, University of London, UK
- Demonstration of MNEMODRONE at ISEA2015 – 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada
- “Computative Metamorphosis” talk at the Expressive 2015 Symposium, Computational Aesthetics, moderated by Angus Forbes and Anil Camci, Incubation Center of Koç University, Istanbul, Turkey
- RE FEST: Art + Technology Festival, The Invisible View: Surveillance Technologies & the rest of us, invited to present MNEMODRONE, moderated by Anna Barsan, CultureHub + La Mama Galeria, NYC, US
- SIGGRAPH 2014, ART TALKS, Technological Error, Power and Metamorphosis, moderated by Basak Senova, Vancouver Convention Center, Canada
- D-ART, 18° International Conference – Information Visualisation iV, curated by Anna Ursyn, Université Paris Descartes, France.
- CGIV, 11° International Conference – Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization, curated by Anna Ursyn, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Parsons The New School for Design, co-presentation of TRANSICONMORPHOSIS with Fito Segrera, NYC, US
- Iuav University of Venice, presentation of PONTE PIRATA at Visual Knowledge Laboratory, Venice, Italy
- Arte e Scienza quantistica e Realtà Aumentata. Sinergie di innovazione, invited to give a talk, Sala dell’Annunziata, chiostro di S.Agostino, Pietrasanta, Italy
- New Horizon Quantum of Art & Augmented Reality, invited to give a talk, Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Florence, Italy
- China National Convention Center, International Technology Transfer Beijing Conference, invited to participate with the QuantumArtGroupItaly-QAGI / Egocreanet and Italia degli Innovatori, organized by China-Italy Innovation B2B, Beijing, China
- 4th Quantumbionet Workshop, Art and Science in the Evolution of Social System, invited to give a talk “L’arte Relazionale,” Università degli Studi di Milano, Crema, Italy
WRITINGS AND PUBLICATIONS
- (Upcoming) “The Digital Skin Series” in Digital Communication Quarterly, edited by xtine burrough, Taylor & Francis, vol.23. n.3. (eng)
- (Upcoming) MNEMODRONE – CHAPTER THREE, independent publication, developed at Signal Culture, Owego, NY (eng)
- “Interview with the Drone: Experimenting with Post-Anthropocentric Art Practice” in Digital Creativity, edited by Stanislav Roudavski, Special issue on Post-Anthropocentric Creativity, Routledge, vol.27. n.1. 2016. (eng)
- “THE GOOGLE TRILOGY: Or How To Play With Google Street View” in Behind the Smart World: Saving, Deleting and Resurfacing Data, edited by Linda Kronman and Andreas Zingerle, AMRO Research Lab, Linz, Austria (eng)
- “Art, Error and the Interstices of Power” in CITARJournal – Journal of Science and Technology of the Arts, edited by Jorge Cardoso, vol.7. n.2. December 2015. (eng)
- “Darwikinism Between Trollism and Error” in HZ Journal, n.20, June 2015, Stockholm, Sweden. (eng)
- MNEMODRONE – CHAPTER TWO, independent publication, developed for ISEA2015 – 21st International Symposium on Electronic Art, Disruption, NYC, US. (eng)
- MNEMODRONE – CHAPTER ONE, independent publication, developed for CultureHub, RE FEST: Art + Technology Festival, NYC, US. (eng)
- fragments, independent publication, NYC, US. (ita-eng)
- “TRANSICONMORPHOSIS” in Leonardo, The Journal of the International Society of the Arts, Sciences and Technology, MIT Press , sixth special issue, vol.47, n.4 (eng)
- “SHOWCASE: Emilio Vavarella, The Sicilian Family” in Mnemoscape Magazine, The Anarchival Impulse, issue #1, edited by Elisa Adami and Alessandra Ferrini, 2014 (eng)
- ERRORE E METAMORFOSI NELLA NEW MEDIA ART: Prospettive e strategie di resistenza intellettuale. (Error and Metamorphosis in New Media Art: Strategies and Perspectives of Intellectual Resistance). M.A. thesis in: Theory and Critique of Contemporary Art. Advisor: Angela Vettese. Iuav University of Venice, Italy (ita)
- A GLITCHED DEFINITION OF GLITCH. Contribution for A Linking Book, exh. cat., curated by CAMPO12, Fondazione Sandretto Re Rebaudengo, Turin, Italy (ita-eng)
- ASKING ABOUT ART. Independent publication with Francesco Nordio. Venice, Italy (ita)
- (Unpublished) ANARCHIA ONLINE ED OFFLINE NELLA NETWORK SOCIETY NEOLIBERALE. (Online and Offline Anarchy in the Neoliberal Network Society). Contribution for Lettere da Venezia, ongoing project by Pietro Bonfanti, Italy. (ita)
- CHE COSA E’ L’ARTE? (What is Art?). Paper in: Philosophy of Science. Relator: Prof. Paolo Garbolino. Iuav University of Venice, Italy. Later republished in “Ti con zero,” and “Il caos Management.” (ita)
- AUTONOMIA ED ETERONOMIA DELL’OPERA DI MAURIZIO CATTELAN. (Autonomy and Heteronomy in the Work of Maurizio Cattelan). B.A. Thesis in: Psychology of Art. Advisors: Stefano Ferrari and Chiara Tartarini. DAMS, University of Bologna, Italy (ita)
(Selected) COLLABORATIVE PROJECTS
- Serving as a reviewer for Platform: Journal of Media and Communication, open-access journal published by the School of Culture and Communication at the University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Member of the Program Committe of VISAP’16 – Metamorphoses, Baltimore, MD US
- Transfer Gallery, Nargifsus, curated by Carla Gannis and Tina Sauerländer, Brooklyn, NY, US.
- Nathan Cummings Foundation + NYU Tisch School of the Arts + Interface Gallery (Oakland), Social in Practice: The Art of Collaboration, curated by Deb Willis and Hank Willis Thomas, US
- Viafarini DOCVA, Academy Awards | Visual Arts IUAV, curated by Angela Vettese, works selected by Cornelia Lauf, Antoni Mutandas and Cesare Pietroiusti; invited to partecipate by Piera Antuono for the project SPAZIO DI SCAMBIO – DO NO, MIlan, Italy
- FONLAD – Digital Arts Festival, UAVM Virtual Museum, WAC and Space for Arts, Media & Performances, Coimbra, Portugal
- OP3NR3PO Glitch Moment/ums, coded by and developed by Joseph ‘Yølk’ Chiocchi & Nick Briz, online archive for Furtherfield Gallery, London, UK
- Wander Web TV, Report a Problem, curated by Tamara Lai, category: Experimental, online video gallery
- NewHive + GrayArea, UPLOAD.gif, gifs selected by Cara Buccifero, Mat Dryhurst, Catherine Miller, Olof Mathe, Josette Melchor, Willa Koerner, Ceci Moss, Kara Q. Smith, San Francisco
- University of Florence, invited to collaborate for the creation of the first “International Master in Quantum ART & Augmented Reality”, Italy
- Proposta per una collezione privata, curated by Cornelia Lauf with Monica Bosaro, Samuele Piazza and Emilio Vavarella. Artists selected: Tommaso Gorla, Marija Jovanovich, Ryts Monet, Luca Pucci, Caterina Rossato, Elisa Strinna, Diego Tonus, Emilio Vavarella, Valerio Veneruso, Serena Vestrucci, Maria Grazia Vetrone. Venice, Italy
- Radio3 – RAI, Silenzio fuori ordinanza experimental audio piece, contributor for “Il Cantiere” radio program, in collaboration with Dalila Missero, Giulia Morucchio and Irene Rossini, Italy
- EMI.LI.O.-V.AVA.REL.L.A. Organization of an art group. Interventions of Guerrilla Marketing in Italy, France, Lithuania, Latvia. Solo exhibition in Turin at SQUARE23 Gallery.
- (Upcoming) MNEMODRONE – CHAPTER THREE, independent publication, developed at Signal Culture, Owego, NY (eng)
- (Upcoming) “La specie è un ossimoro”in Studi Culturali (Il Mulino). Peer-reviewed article by Federica Timeto. (ita)
- “The Digital Skin Series” in Digital Communication Quarterly, edited by xtine burrough, Taylor & Francis, vol.23. n.3. (eng)
- “The Digital Skin Series” in Neural, Vol.55, centrefold. (eng)
- “Emilio Vavarella” in Mise en Abyme, interview by Mattia Pajé. (ita)
- “Di cosa parlano i chatbot quando parlano fra loro?” by Federica Timeto in Technoculture, Unità di Ricerca sulle Tecnoculture, Università degli Studi di Napoli ‘L’Orientale’. (ita)
- The New Aesthetic and Art: Constellations of the Postdigital, (book), edited by Scott Contreras-Koterbay and Lukasz Mirocha, Institute of Network Cultures, 2016. (eng)
- Digital Creativity, “Interview with the Drone: Experimenting with Post-Anthropocentric Art Practice” edited by Stanislav Roudavski, Special issue on Post-Anthropocentric Creativity, Routledge, 2016. (eng)
- Behind the Smart World: Saving, Deleting and Resurfacing Data, (book), “THE GOOGLE TRILOGY: Or How To Play With Google Street View”, edited by Linda Kronman and Andreas Zingerle, AMRO Research Lab, Linz, Austria (eng)
- Le Monde – Big Browser, “Avez-vous déjà vu les mutants de Google Street View?” (fra)
- Official Catalogue,“Memorie: Arte, Immagini e Parole del Terremoto in Friuli”, Skira Editore, Milan (ita)
- The Creators Project, “More than 50 GIF artists Take On Selfie Culture” (eng)
- ETC MEDIA, “La photographie avalée par le numérique”, by Sylvain Campeau, v.106, automne/hiver 2015. (fra)
- Areo, “Orizzonti Mobili” by Carlo Sala, Speciale Cultura 6, n.52, 2016, pp.158-160 (ita)
- Kritika, “Premio Francesco Fabbri per le Arti Contemporanee 2015” by Chiara Pozzobon, 2015 (ita)
- Museo Rimodificato: Art sine Scientia nihil est, “Emilio Vavarella: The Sicilian Family”, interview by Giulia Meloni for Antoni Muntadas Visual Arts Lab at Iuav University of Venice, 2016. (ita)
- Exibart, “La meglio Gioventù: Azioni”, by Andrea Bruciati, 2016. (ita)
- Visual Studies, “Google Street View: Navigating the Operative Image” by Ingrid Hoelzl and Rémi Marie, Routledge, Vol. 29, No.3, pp. 261-271
- ISEA 2015 Official Catalogue, Art and Disruption, by Kate Armstrong, 2015, p.73. (eng)
- NEW MEDIA ART EXPERIENCE: Media digitali, forme e contesti della produzione artistica contemporanea. Doctoral Thesis in “Comunicazione e Nuove Tecnologie” by Paolo Mele, IULM University, Milan, Italy. (ita)
- Artnoise, “Un’opera creata digitalmente con immagini di opere rubate…realmente”, by Lucia Longhi (ita)
- Interalia Magazine, “On TRANSICONMORPHOSIS: an Interview with Emilio Vavarella and Fito Segrera”, by Richard Bright and Vasia Hatzi (eng)
- INTERARTIVE, “THE ITALIAN JOB”, by Monica Bosaro and Emma Stanisic, special issue: Original vs. Copy, n.75 (eng)
- Yahoo Tech, “10 Years of Google Maps, 10 Years of Google Maps Hacks”, by Rob Walker (eng)
- Re-Building the Future, “Emilio Vavarella and The Sicilian Family” Official Catalogue, 2015. (ita-eng)
- The Creators Project. “Explore an Extraterrestrial Dimension of New Media Art” 2015. (eng)
- The Creators Project. “The Wrong New Digital Art Biennial Brings Together The Best Of The Net” 2015. (eng)
- GAI – Giovani Artisti Italiani. “Il Progetto. L’intervista. Il Resoconto.” Interview by Valeria Lacarra. 2015. (ita)
- Data Improvisations, “MEMORYSCAPES.” Official Catalogue VISAP’15, p.21. (eng)
- ARTFORUM, “Fair Game. Martha Buskirk on Networked Photography and Copyright”, magazine, summer 2014, vol.52, no.10 (eng)
- Leonardo, The Journal of the International Society of the Arts, Sciences and Technology, “TRANSICONMORPHOSIS,” MIT Press, vol.47, no.4, 2014. (eng)
- WIRED Japanese edition, “Enhanced Vision” by Kei Wakabayashi, magazine, vol.13, September (jap)
- Digital Creativity, “Art Space: ACM SIGGRAPH Art Gallery 2014” by Sue Gollifer, Routledge, Volume 25, Issue 4, 2014, pp.360-368
- WIRED, Japanese Edition, “Incredible Glitches from Google Street View” by Mayumi Irai/Galileo (jap)
- laRepubblica, “Quando la tecnologia è imperfetta: le foto sbagliate di Google Street” by Marzia Papagna (ita)
- Furtherfield, “MON3Y AS AN 3RROR | MON3Y.US” by Rob Myers (eng)
- MASHABLE, “Artist Finds Beauty in Google Street View Glitches” by Laura Vitto (eng)
- MASHABLE, “Evocative Artists Inspired by Google Street View” by Yohana Desta (eng)
- INTERARTIVE, “THE WILDERNESS IN THE MACHINE: Glitch and the Poetics of Error” by Christin Grammatikopoulou, n.59, Art, Politics, Technology (eng)
- Folha De S.Paulo, “Artista busca erros no Street View durante um ano e monta coletânea” by Bruno Romani (bra)
- “ITALIANS ON THE JOB: Inside and Outside an Anarchival Impulse.” Curatorial text by Monica Bosaro (eng)
- “A Question of Stealing.” Curatorial text by Emma Stanisic (eng)
- “The Italian Job. Italian Theory and The Art of Trolling.” Curatorial text by Lucrezia Calabrò Visconti (eng)
- INTERARTIVE, “The Google Trilogy,” special issue: Art & Copyright, #50 (eng)
- Mnemoscape Magazine, “SHOWCASE: Emilio Vavarella, The Sicilian Family,” issue n.1 “The Anarchival Impulse”, 2014, pp.160-165 (eng)
- DIVA – Jorunal of The Society for Art and Science, “TRANSICONMORPHOSIS,” vol.36, 2014. (jap)
- WIRED, “These Glitches from Google Street View Are Worthy of an Art Gallery” by Kyle Vanhemert (eng)
- WIRED Italian Edition, “Street View, Google abbiamo un problema” by Simone Cosimi (ita)
- WIRED, “7 Cute and Clever Art Pieces Made Using Emoji” by Liz Stinson (eng)
- The Huffington Post, “Google Street View Glitches Become Beautiful Art” by editorial staff (eng)
- The Huffington Post, “Emoji Art Reveals the Dark Side of the Smiley Face” by Bianca Bosker (eng)
- Courrier International, Groupe Le Monde, “Tendences: Aux frontières du réel,” magazine, n.1211 (fra)
- Doing Digital Humanities, “Putting the Humanities in Digital Humanities” by Ryan Cordell (eng)
- Flash Art, “Bevilacqua La Masa presenta la 96ma Collettiva Giovani Artisti e i Borsisti della 95ma Collettiva Giovani” by editorial staff (ita)
- laRepubblica D, “Giovani in mostra” by Katia Brega (ita)
- Il Giornale dell’Arte, “Bevilacqua iperselettiva” by Lidia Panzeri (ita)