ENG – ITA
MNEMOSCOPIO, 2020. Site-specific public art installation with modified XR headset, 360° immersive 8K video, environmental dimensions, sound.
MNEMOSCOPIO is a site-specific public art installation for the territory of the Cape of Leuca. It is composed of an experimental XR (Cross Reality) headset through which the physical reality of the installation site overlaps with a navigable 3D virtual map of memories. The map was generated by extracting data from a series of interviews with local residents who had moved abroad but ultimately decided to settle in the Cape of Leuca territory. The installation offers the possibility of virtually traveling through a landscape of ephemeral memories, and continues my research on the relationship between memory and technology.
Details of the headset
- Kora – Centro del Contemporaneo. Home Sweet Home, curated by Paolo Mele, Alessandra Pioselli, Davide Quadrio, Claudio Zecchi, Castrignano de’ Greci, Italy
- Lastation. Le stanze di Ramdom #2, curated by Ramdom, Gagliano del Capo, Italy
- (Solo Exhibition) MNEMOSCOPIO, curated by Ramdom, Capo di Leuca, Italy
- This work is a public art commission produced and curated by Ramdom with the support of MiBACT and SIAE, as part of the “Per Chi Crea – New Works” program for the creation and production of new artworks.
- The 3D map was produced through satellite and aerial imagery of Paris and Mulhouse (France); Konstanz and Munich (Germany); Swindon (UK), Brooklyn (US), Bern, Geneve and Dübendorf (Switzerland), integrated with 8K footage shot with a Insta360 Pro camera for 360° Virtual Reality, using the cross-platform game engine Unity.
- Special thanks to Young Joo Lee for the video editing and to Gabriele Panico / Larssen for the sound editing.
- Additional technical support was offered by Rus Gant and the Earth and Planetary Sciences: Visualization Research and Teaching Laboratory at Harvard University.
- This work is dedicated to all those who accepted to share their memories with me: Cosimo L.; Lucia F.; Franco R.; Annarita P.; Federico C.; Antonietta C.; Paolo M.; Stefania C.; Michele V.; Giuliana S.; Francesca M. and Vito C.; Antonio S.; Rosario Z.
- Additional info can be found on the project’s blog: https://mnemoscopio.ramdom.net/
“Digitale Off Limits: intervista a Emilio Vavarella”
Interview by Maria Chiara Wang, July 2020. (ita)
“Nuove ipotesi di realtà. Intervista con Emilio Vavarella (New hypotheses of reality: interview with Emilio Vavarella)”
Interview by Elena Bordignon, January 2020. (ita-eng)
“MNEMOSCOPIO di Emilio Vavarella: un’installazione d’arte pubblica”
by Irene Angenica, March 2020. (ita)
“Ramdom a Gagliano del Capo, Lecce: fare e vivere di cultura e arte”
Interview by Elena Bordignon. 21 November 2019. (ita-eng)
Il Sole 24 Ore
“Chi ha vinto il bando Per Chi Crea”
by Francesca Guerisoli, July 2019. (ita)
“Thought is my Main Medium. Interview with Emilio Vavarella | Il pensiero è il mio medium principale. Intervista con Emilio Vavarella”
by Giada Totaro, July 2020. (ita-eng)
“Tessitura, memoria e tecnologia. Intervista a Emilio Vavarella”
by Cecilia Pavone, September 2020. (ita)
Arte e tecnologia del terzo millennio. Scenari e protagonisti [Art and Technology in the Third Millennium: Landscapes and Protagonists]
Catricalà, Valentino and Cesare Biasini Selvaggi, I Quaderni della Collezione Farnesina, Vol. II, Milan: Mondadori Electa, 2020. (ita-eng)
Cinergie – Il cinema e le altre arti
“A Journey into Artworks: Storytelling in Augmented Reality and
by Sofia Pirandello, special issue edited by y Simone Arcagni and Adriano D’Aloia, August 2021. (eng)
“MNEMOSCOPIO and rs548049170_1_69869_TT (The Other Shapes of Me)”
by Alessandro Ludovico, Issue 67, Autumn 2020. (eng)